Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

will power


Hi, my name is Kim, and I'm an addict.

I'm addicted to sugar. And chips. And I need professional help.

But I'm on a quest. I've been in a stalled position for a couple months now. Not signed up for any races and waiting. Running sporadically, for fun, and waiting.

What am I waiting for? The New York City Marathon! I threw my name in the hat a few months ago. For the third straight time. And up until this year there has been this "rule": Throw your name in three years in a row and get guaranteed entry on the 4th year. But as I was looking on the website the other day to determine the drawing date, I found that the rule has changed! After 2014, you are no longer guaranteed entry on the 4th year. And my little heart broke. :(

Because I'm not getting any younger, PEOPLE! And running a marathon will not get easier as I AGE! And frankly, I only think it possible in the next two years of my life. And after that, well.... you know I'm living in uncharted territory at this point anyway. I never imagined living past 40, so who knows!

So what does an addiction to sugar and chips have to do with New York? Well, I'm pretty sure they won't be "on the diet" for marathon training. And it's time I nix them now!

It would have been really convenient for me to still be Episcopalian right now. I could be observing Lent and pretending like I wasn't eating chips and/or sugar. (I was never good at Lent when I was participating. Now? Fugetaboutit.)

So I'm going to have to come up with my own will power. And dang it. That's hard.

I'll start Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment