Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

making goals

Sometimes in life we alter our goals. In one case it may because we need to push ourselves harder and in another it could be to face reality.

I went out for a run today. It's been a laaaaazy Christmas break and I've had lots of fun laying around and sleeping. And not running.

So I've been thinking about what races I'd like to run in 2014. And my favorite race is in Fort Worth, Texas. They run it every year in February and it's called Cowtown. This will be my third year and I'm really excited. However, I haven't been good at training this time around.

Last year I got the flu in January and was only able to run a pitiful 10K at Cowtown. But this year, I'm excited to run the half again.

And thus, the altered goal.

I'm squeezing in a modified training and doing a 3:1 minute Run/Walk to make this happen. My 7 miles today were amazing! I can do this!!

So let me end with this little lesson on running.

When you're running a long way and you need to pee, what do you do?
a. sprint to the closest gas station
b. swing by a friend's house
c. pee down your leg
d. squat in the bushes

Let me tell you what I do. Keep running. And you know why?

1. I don't want my potty stop to affect my time. I know, sounds crazy. But I'm not alone in the running world.
2. Two words: Desert Rat. Do you know about the Desert Rat? It pees very infrequently and when it goes, there is a tiny single drop of very concentrated urine.
Why did I tell you this? Because inevitably, if I wasted my time stopping to pee and throw my time off, I would be the Dessert Rat.

Not worth it. TOTALLY not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment