Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Birds and Cookies and Nails, oh my!

This morning my phone rang at 7:28 a.m. I didn't recognize the number, and to keep it from ringing and waking up The Man I answered quickly. "Hello?" I almost whispered. "KIM?!" (Is this my dad? It kind of sounds like him, but more like the something's-wrong-we-need-to-chat voice). "Yes?" I say. "THIS IS BOB. YOUR NEIGHBOR??" "Oh! Hi Bob!" I smile. I've been waiting for Bob to call. This is exciting!

Bob came to my husband about a year ago and asked him if we would be offended if he built an aviary in his backyard. He was planning on buying and training some homing pigeons. Would that be okay? Well, since we erected a batting cage in our backyard, along with a 3 story wood play set, and eventually an above ground pool, we felt like saying no would be bad. Because we never actually considered consulting Bob before we did any of that. Oops.

Well as time passed, the aviary went up. And he did a nice job with it, too. He built it by hand and even painted it white. It's lovely, quite frankly! And when those baby pigeons were born he invited our kids and us over to take a peek. He taught us all we ever wanted to know about homing pigeons. And then he told us he was planning on racing them. Racing them?! Really?? That is so freaking cool, I can hardly stand it.

So you see, when the call came this morning from Bob, I was pumped. Why, you ask? Because he is training them to race home from Denton, Texas for their first race!! How fun is that?!?! And since he works, he needed someone to watch for them and write down their time of arrival. Hello?! Um, YES! I'd LOVE TO!! So this morning at 8:45 a.m. I sat my happy butt down on my wicker chair in the middle of my yard and sipped coffee while I waited for Bob's birds. Oh yes, I did.

And then, just as I wasn't paying attention, they showed up! Like a wisp of air! There they were!

And it took them about 9 minutes from their first appearance to going inside to rest. Watch how this happens. At first they were flying loops around the house. They made about 5-6 loops and then they all landed on Bob's roof.

Then, one by one, they jumped from the house to the aviary and made their way inside, to their personal nests. HOW COOL IS THAT??

Now, I know you can see how this was such an exciting event that my day must have ended then and there. But no, my dear reader. I went on to make cookies from scratch for my two darling and perfect children. ha, ha, ha.

Aaaaand, then I skipped lunch, because I ate too much cookie dough. So, I painted my nails. :) And made my own personal pinterest-looking picture of my essie flavor (chinchilly, by the way).

Happy Tuesday to you!

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome story and an awesome experience! :)